About the project

Our project

Sunday, 23 February 2025

From Cumnock to Cumberland

By Elaine Corbett

Mary Smith, Still an Enigma.

My great grandmother Mary Smith was born from a union of two farming families; the Smiths of Whitehill, Ochiltree, and the Osbornes of Killoch. Her parents were farming at Drongan House when Mary, then her brother Robert were born. When Mary was five, her father died suddenly and the little family moved to Kilmarnock where their mother rented out rooms to her brother, Matthew Mair Osborne - later to become the editor and owner of the Kilmarnock Standard.  

When Mary was eleven years old tragedy struck when her mother died leaving the two orphaned children in the care of their aunt Agnes Osborne, now married to farm overseer Robert Wallace of Piperhill. They brought them to Townhead of Drumley, near Mauchline.

All seemed normal until my story really begins. In 1896 Mary, aged twenty and unmarried, stepped off the train in Keswick, and went to a boarding house to give birth to my grandfather, Robert Smith.




 She had him adopted by a family in Workington, a thriving port on the west coast rich from mineral mining. The man of the house was a coal miner. A year later, she placed her second child, Victor James, with the same family.

With her third child, she found that her lodging house in Keswick had closed, and her landlady/midwife had retired to Toxteth in Lancashire so she was forced to make other arrangements, finding a family in Cockermouth to adopt little Kenneth.

Child number four was left with the sister of Kenneth’s adoptive mother, Sarah Briscoe. This lady was to be the saviour of all Mary’s children, for she made a home for all eight of them, apart from Kenneth who remained with her sister in Cockermouth. Mary had removed Robert and Victor from the care of the Workington family and placed them all together with Sarah. Far from an absentee parent, Mary visited often, bringing cheeses and money to pay for their upkeep. She would arrive in a buggy laden with goodies, and cash secreted in her petticoats to prevent thieves taking it on her journey. None of the children really knew where she came from, but they knew she was Scottish from her accent, and she spoke a lot about Islay, where her aunt and uncle had taken them to live when Robert Wallace found a new job overseeing farms on the Laggan estate. Islay would have been a rare and exotic place to those children, and it wasn’t until his eighties that my great uncle Fred made the journey to see Laggan Farm - the only one to do so - and greatly thrilled he was!

Life for the extended family Briscoe had its ups and downs. John Briscoe was a farmer when Sarah and he were married, and two of Mary’s children were born at their farm in Edderside. John then left farming and went to work at the steel works in Workington. That is when the children went to St Michael’s school where we researched their records. The school was overcrowded and conditions were poor, so poor in fact that my grandfather never did learn to read or write until he married at the age of twentyfour.

They finally settled back into farming in Lorton Vale and raised the children in healthy country air. Workington was heavily industrialised at the time and childhood diseases were commonplace.

But what of Mary?
Census records show her living with Robert and Agnes Wallace along with her brother. Robert and Agnes had no children of their own. Robert Smith was a bookeeper for the farms under Robert Wallace’s stewardship. Of course, there was no indication of who the father of the children was, or how keeping the secret of her pregnancies had been accomplished.
After the deaths of Robert Wallace, Agnes, and her brother Robert, Mary came back to Drongan as a housekeeper at Lane Farm and at the age of 56, married David Knox, finally moving to live with Smith relations in Twynholm after she was widowed. She died in 1947.

It wasn’t until I did a DNA test with Ancestry that the potential father - at least in my line of descent - became clear, when lots of DNA links to Wallaces popped up. So the question now arose, did she do this of her own volition?
 What we knew of her personality from what her children and grandchildren saw, she was a very self assured and confident character. It seems likely that she was hiding her relationship with Robert Wallace, but how they did that in a house of servants seems impossible. Whether aunt Agnes was accepting of that situation we can’t know, but when she died in Islay in 1918, the monument on her grave placed by Robert Wallace was flamboyant and expensive.
This is it, taken from the back. There is inlaid brass lettering ‘Wallace’ on the plinth, and a memorial inscribed in the column to Agnes. It is noteworthy to observe that the houses in the middle distance would not have been built at the time of her death (1918), and there would be a commanding view of the sound.




Her sons and daughter made their lives in Cumberland, with farming at the core, and Granny Briscoe lived out her life as a treasured matriarch, Mary never playing a role for them apart from an occasional mention of the enigma that was their mother. She never did tell them who their father was.








Friday, 21 February 2025

WW1 War bride to Canada

 Jeanie Kelso Cochrane, the step-daughter of George Bradford, married James Penney, a Canadian soldier from Newfoundland, on 14th January 1916 in Glasgow. There's a record of her sailing to Canada on the California in 1922 but she is with her daughter who was born in Canada. They must have been home visiting her family. Her husband James Penney was living at 209 Parker St in Newark, New Jersey and that was their intended permanent home.

James Penney born 26th Dec 1894 in Ochre Pit Cove, Newfoundland was a Private with the 1st Newfoundland Battalion attached to the British army. The were camped at Ayr (old) Racecourse for training. In March 1916 he was on active service in France but by 1917 he was invalided out. 

Jeanie married William Spurgeon Kennedy a carpenter in 1928 in Jersey City. It looks like Jeanie and James Penney divorced as he married Viola E Friedrichs in 1927.

William returned from Glasgow to New York in 1930 on the Transylvania after visiting mother in law Jeanie Bradford in Cumnock. His wife wasn't with him, on the return trip anyway.

Mother Jeanie Bradford age 77 flew KLM from Prestwick  to visit them  in 1947 at 80 Melrose Avenue Arlington.

In 1930 William's brother Bertram married another lass from Cumnock Mary Stewart Cameron and they lived next door to William in the 1940 and 1950 censuses in Arlington.  Mary travelled alone to New York on the Cameronia in 1929. She was 29 a shorthand typist going to her brother Robert Cameron in Kearney, New Jersey. 

William Kennedy and Jeanie ended up in Pasco, Florida, where they both died in 1975

Mary Cameron Stewart died at the age of 102 in Missouri.



Thursday, 20 February 2025

Sailed to Australia

By Kay McMeekin 

John Caddies on the Cumnock Connections family tree. See the article towards the end for his experiences in his own words.

David Murdoch and his son in law John Caddies sailed on the Austral from London to Sydney on the 22nd February 1889. They soon found work in the mining town of Minmi, New South Wales and sent for their wives and children. They paid their deposit in March 1889.

The extended family of Murdoch/Fleming/Caddies sailed on the Cuzco arriving in Sydney on 6th August 1889.

They moved to Cessnock and David Murdoch junior became under manager at Aberdare Colliery. David Murdoch senior returned to Scotland at some point where he died in 1899 in the Poorhouse Ayr of "cardiac" aged 62 a stone breaker, husband of Elizabeth Fleming. The death certificate was signed by the Governor and his usual address was Dalrymple. Not found his passage home or any sign of him in Dalrymple. The poorhouse served as a hospital.



His wife Elizabeth Fleming was born in Beith  about 1843. They married in Cumnock in 1863, and they had 8 children between then and 1881. 

Their daughter Elizabeth Murdoch married John Caddies in 1887.

John Caddies lived into his nineties.  

 The following article was found on the website trove.  John (Jock) Caddis is over 86 years of age. His recipe for a long life is: 

STICK TO THE FOOTPATHS

Jock estimates that during his lifetime he has walked from Australia to Scotland four times and is somewhere near Colombo on the fifth trip. Born on February 10, 1864, at Kilmarnock, just two miles from the famous Cessnock Castle, from which the town of Cessnock (N.S.W.) takes its name, it was only natural for Jock to select Cessnock as the place to end his days. He came to Cessnock 45 years ago. Jock's first occupation was at the coal face at a very early age. In those days a miner usually took a lad into the mine in order to qualify for a double turn of tubs. John Caddis, when 22 years of age, married Miss Elisabeth Murdock at Cumnock (Scotland), and two years later sailed for Australia in the s.s. 'Austral' which, at that time was considered one of the fastest liners afloat. She was considered a large vessel, being over 4,000 tons. The 'Austral' caused quite a stir as she steamed through the Sydney Heads and still a greater stir when 14 days later she sank at her moorings. It was believed at the time that none of the crew wanted the return journey. They had heard about fabulously rich gold strikes. The captain refused to pay off the crew. It would appear that at least some of the crew became obsessed with the idea — no ship — no return voyage. Anyway, one night the seacocks were opened and the 'Austral' sank*. 

AUSTRALIA FOR JOCK. Jock secured employment as a miner on the South Coast and, while he liked the scenery, he didn't like the pay, so after a couple of months he heard about the mining boom town of Minmi, and after a few weeks work, he decided to send for his wife. Jock must have sent home a most glowing and pleasing account of Australia, and perhaps Minmi in particular, because the Murdoch family decided it was a better place than Scotland and accompanied their sister (Mrs. Caddis) to Australia. When the ship on which they travel-led arrived at Sydney, the captain was advised by the ship's agents to keep the Murdock family on board, pending arrangements for their transportation to Minmi, where they were given employment. The Murdocks soon made their name prominent, as most of the menfolk became colliery officials in the coalmining industry. 

THE MINMI RANGERS Jock Caddis was one of the footballers to leave Scotland and he soon found a place in the famous Minmi Rangers, then the soccer (or British, as it was called in those days) champions of the Common- wealth. For two years this famous team never lost a game nor had a goal scored against them. Despite the number of trophies Jock won, the only medal that dangles from his watch chain is the medal won in 1888, when the Minmi Rangers won the Common- wealth championship. Out of that famous team it is believed that only five survive. Of these, Tom Campbell, Jock Caddis, Frank Leckie and Bob Harden (the team baby), live at Cessnock, whilst Jock McCartney is at present accompanying his daughter, Miss Nellie McCartney, the world famous pianiste, on her present Australian tour. All are either 80 years of age or, near 90 years. 

A MILLER'S GUIDE After Jock finished playing as a football star, he took a keen interest in all sports, from a quoit match to the Melbourne Cup. He soon became the selected auth-ority or umpire, whose decision settled all arguments. One had only to ask Jock what horse won the Newmarket in 1900 and he would quote the name of the horse, its breeding, and weight carried, who owned it, who rode it, the colours and the time taken to run the distance. It was the same with fighters, foot runners, etc. Yes, Jock was a Miller's Guide. 

FOOTPATHS Jock is so well known throughout the North that any person admitting no knowing Jock Caddis is immediately tagged a New Australian or Balt. Quite a lot of people believe that Jock is the General Superintendent of footpaths for the Municipal Council of Cessnock. He may have been, but for the past 12 years Jock has been in charge of Vincent Street. His beat consists of six trips (both ways) from the Railway Station to Conway's Corner. Recently, Jock inquired from Rover Motors when the next bus went to Belllird. He was informed by the man in charge, after consulting his watch, 'In 35 minutes time.' Jock replied, 'I'll not wait, I'll walk out and catch it coming back.' Jock recommends that any man can cure insomnia by walking a mere 12 miles a day, providing, of course, that he is over 80 years of age. Jock says that there is only one person killed each year in Australia on a footpath and the death is the result of a brawl. Thousands are killed on the streets and roads. Jock's only message, on the occasion of his birthday, is — 'Stick to the footpaths and live. Walk the streets and die.'   

APA citation

STICK TO THE FOOTPATHS (1950, April 6). The Cessnock Eagle and South Maitland Recorder (NSW : 1913 - 1954), p. 7. Retrieved February 20, 2025, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article103583121

THE STEAMSHIP AUSTRAL

*The Austral was scuppered in November 1882, but it was raised in February 1883 and put back into service.

Raising the Austral. (1883, February 10). Australian Town and Country Journal (Sydney, NSW : 1870 - 1919), p. 32. Retrieved February 21, 2025, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article70995949\


The footballer mentioned in the article Jock McCartney is also an Ayrshire man from Cronberry. He came out in 1887, his younger brother David in 1910. David was a retired professional footballer and went back to mining  in South Aberdare.

John McCartney with daughters Nellie, left, the pianist and Hilda
Nellie took the stage name Nan Kenway when she changed from being a pianist to a comedy actress.






Sunday, 16 February 2025

The Italian Connection



 by Roberta McGee

Many Italians came to Scotland in the late 1880s to escape poverty and with the ambition to set up small businesses such as ice-cream parlours and fish & chip shops. They were hardworking and family orientated and integrated well into their chosen community. Later, immigrants came to Scotland for political reasons. The Italian families who settled in Cumnock were originally from Tuscany. 

MARIO LUNI was born in 1882 in Castelnuova, Lucca, Tuscany, Italy. We first find him on the 1911 census in Cumnock at 4 Ayr Road, an ice-cream shop, with two Italian-born assistants 24 years old Giovanni Rossi  and 16 years old Enrico Pucci. He travelled back to Tuscany in 1913 to marry Elvira Bertucci and returned to Cumnock immediately after their marriage. It was here that their three children were born, Ernesto (Ernie) in 1914, Pietro (Peter) in 1916 and a daughter Bice in 1919. 

Shop is below the Capstan sign

In 1920 Mario had a fish & chip shop at 6 Glaisnock Street, Cumnock, (which would be where Connell's was) and a cafe called "The Welcome Cafe" at 6 Ayr Road. The 1921 census shows that he was still at 6 Ayr Road with two Italian-born male assistants. The Catani family were boarding - Bruna 23 who was the housekeeper and three young male Catanis - Nello 13, Oyea 9 and Sirio 7 who were all born in Castelnuovo. On the 1930 Valuation Roll Mario was living at 10 Manse Lane, Cumnock.


Both Mario and his wife Elvira died in Tuscany - Mario in 1948 and Elvira in 1953.


Ernie and Peter carried on the business. The Cafe was on Ayr Road corner with the Fish & Chip shop upstairs. It was accessed by an outside stair at the side of the building. Ice-cream and confectionary were sold downstairs. It became a gathering place for the teenagers in the town and the Luni family were well liked by the townsfolk. 

Ernie Luni


Images - Cumnock Connections Tree


Peter married Giuseppina Guidi in 1948 at New Cumnock and opened a cafe there. Ernie married Letizia Marchi and about the 1960s they opened another Fish & Chip shop at the bottom of the Barrhill Road. Ernie died in Cumnock in 1987 and Letizia died in the Bute Nursing Home, Cumnock in 2016. Their son carried on their tradition and has a very popular fish and chip shop in Ayr. Unfortunately the Welcome Cafe is no longer there having been demolished like many other businesses in Cumnock.

Another Italian family to settle in Cumnock was the Quadris.

PRIMO QUADRI  was born in 1894 in Castelnuovo, Carfagnana, Italy and married Maria Elvira Lenzi. When he arrived in Cumnock is unclear. He was a salesman for fellow countryman Mario Luni at 4 Ayr Road. They had a son, Licio, who was known as Tony, in 1925 born most likely in Italy as I can find no record of his birth in Scotland. 

1925 was a turbulent time in Italy. Mussolini had declared himself Italy's dictator in which he had asserted his right to supreme power and under his fascist regime there was widespread unrest. 

On 10 June 1940 Benito Mussolini declared war on Britain. Overnight all Italians living in Britain were looked upon as 'enemy aliens' and the men aged between 16 years old and 70 years old were rounded up for internment. The fear that the Italians might work with the enemy led Churchill to coin the phrase 'Collar the Lot'. There were 3 levels of internment:-
     
  • Category A - to be interned
  • Category B - to be exempt from internment but subject to restrictions decreed by special order.
  • Category C - to be exempt from both internment and restrictions
  Those classified in Category A were interned in camps being set up across the UK, the largest settlement being on the Isle of Man although there were others set up in and around Glasgow. 

Due to concerns over space to accommodate the growing number of internees a decision was taken to deport them to Canada and Australia. On 2nd July 1940 the 'Arandora Star', a converted passenger liner, was en route from Liverpool to a camp in Canada when it was struck by a torpedo from a German U-boat off the coast of Ireland. On board were 734 Italian internees (civilians), 438 Germans (including both Nazi sympathisers and Jewish refugees) and 374 British seamen and soldiers. Over half lost their lives including 446 Italians. Some of these men were from immigrant families from Ayr and Glasgow. This incident caused much public sympathy towards the 'enemy aliens'  and many of the Italians were released early.


Primo, who was working in Mario Luni's cafe, was arrested and interned on the Isle of Man. According to a newspaper report there were eight Italians detained in Cumnock but, unfortunately, no names. An older resident recalls the anger of the Cumnock townsfolk when they were arrested.  


Oban Times & Argyleshire Advertiser 15/6/1940 

On his release Primo went back to working in Mario Luni's cafe and in 1948 his son Tony married Paradisa Angeli at St Patrick's RC Church in Greenock. Tony and Paradisa (known as Rina) set up house in Cumnock. 
95/97a Glaisnock Street

Through the years Primo & Maria and Tony & Rina built up their businesses opposite the Town Hall in Glaisnock Street. They bought Bowman's Ice Cream and Confectionery shop. Older Cumnockians will remember the sitting area where they could enjoy a 'McCallum' or a '99'. Further up Glaisnock Street was Primo and Maria's fish and chip shop. There was a snooker room adjoining. In between the ice-cream shop and the fish & chip shop they created a cafe with a juke box where teenagers would gather.

Tony died in Cumnock in 1981 and Primo and Maria died in Cumnock in 1982 and 1986 respectively.   Rina, also died in Cumnock in 1998. 

R Grierson





















THE TOGNINI FAMILY

Luigi Tognini was born in 1896 in Castelnuovo, Tuscany, Italy, the same area as both Mario Luni and Primo Quadri. He was only sixteen when he travelled from Italy to Cumnock to work in Mario Luni's fish & chip shop in Ayr Road. He returned to Italy in 1920 to join the Italian army. In 1921 he married Amelia Terni and later that year he returned to Scotland. His business progressed and he had, over the years, the Savoy Cafe and the Central Cafe in Ayr then a cafe at 163 Ayr Road Prestwick and a bungalow at Lilybank Road, Prestwick.  Luigi and Amelia had six children and Amelia travelled back to Italy to give birth each time. Two sons and two daughters survived - Renato, Piero, Anna and Aduo and were educated mainly in Prestwick and Ayr.

The day Italy entered the war on Germany's side Luigi closed his cafe, Next morning two policemen arrived at the bungalow, arrested Luigi and his oldest son Renato, and immediately took them away to be interned. Amelia was informed that the remaining family must leave the coastal region and move inland for a distance of at least 20 miles.  They persuaded a local merchant to take them in his car and they headed for Cumnock. They reached Auchinleck and, with the help of some villagers, managed to persuade a lady who lived on her own in Arran Drive, to temporarily let them have a room in her house.  Son Piero managed to secure employment at Josephine Antonucci's fish & chip shop in the village. Josephine's parents came from the same area in Italy as the Tognini family. 

On the morning of his 16th birthday Piero was arrested and taken to Barlinnie. From Barlinnie he was taken to an internment camp in Strachar, then down to Liverpool and finally to the Isle of Man where he was reunited with his father Luigi and brother Renato. He was released five months later on 12th December 1940 on the condition that he undertook work of national importance so he made his way back to his mother and sisters in Auchinleck and got a job as a woodcutter at a farm at Low Glenmuir, Cumnock. In 1941 they moved into a rented room and kitchenette in the Royal Hotel, Cumnock and in 1943 they moved to a flat at 29 Glaisnock Street.

During his time in Cumnock Piero met Tony Quadri while swimming at Cumnock Swimming Pool and they formed a lasting friendship. He also joined a small band which consisted of mainly Hawaiin guitar players. They called themselves 'The Twilight Serenaders' and were based mainly in the Cumnock area.

Luigi and Renato were released in January 1944 having been interned for four years on the Isle of Man. Luigi found work as a cobbler and Renato as a coalminer in Lugar. 

 
Kilmarnock Herald & North Ayrshire Gazette 14/7/1944

At the end of the war in 1945 the Togninis left Cumnock and returned to Prestwick where they re-opened their business/



                   
Source for the Tognini story - 'A Mind at War', an autobiography by Piero Tognini










Friday, 14 February 2025

John Neil

 By Kay McMeekin

John Neil had a son James with the girl next door in Peesweep Row, Lugar, Auchinleck in August 1861.  He signed the birth certificate, acknowledging himself as the father of the boy James. James was born at no 103 Peesweep Row the home of his mother Mary Jane McGowan and John Neil lived at no 102 in the 1861 census 4 months earlier.

John went on to marry Agnes Bryce on 15th October 1861 and they left immediately for Australia. Was the illegitimate child the motivating factor? He would be liable for aliment.

They sailed on the Jessie Munn  which sailed from London, stopping at Plymouth on 26th October arriving Brisbane 18 Jan 1862.  The authorities were apparently not well organised for their reception at Brisbane.  Agnes had their first child in March 1862, another reason for leaving?

Australian and New Zealand Gazette - Saturday 26 October 1861

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4603692 Trove

He went to the gold fields in Gympie Australia in 1867 with Agnes and children following on. John died Gimpie in 1911 and Agnes in 1932. (Obit for Agnes)

Meanwhile, the son left behind, James Neil grew up with his mother's family and when his mother married he lived with them.  He played flute in the Cumnock Orchestra and was a commercial traveller in shoes and boots. He was a town councillor and the 17th Provost of Cumnock.  He was twice married and had 6 children. Two of this sons died in WW1. James died in Cumnock in 1950. His grandson George Scott 1923-2008 was a local historian.




Monday, 10 February 2025

Ten pound poms

By Kay McMeekin

The phrase 'Ten Pound Poms' is used to describe the Britons who emigrated to Australia following World War 2 on the Australian government's assisted passage scheme. The purpose of this scheme was to enlarge Australia's population whilst supplying workers for the country's growing economy and industry.

Britons were offered a way out of the rationing and deprivation of post-war life, shown visions of glorious sunshine and boundless possibility by a government desperate for an influx of labour.

They were offered the dramatically reduced fee for their passage only on the condition that they stay in Australia for a minimum of two years, or pay the full £120 fare back. This fee was prohibitively expensive for most.

The scale of the migration was such that some former troop ships were converted and dedicated to carrying Britons to their new home, such as the S.S. New Australia, formerly the Monarch of Bermuda. the Britons who emigrated to Australia following World War 2 on the Australian government's assisted passage scheme. The purpose of this scheme was to enlarge Australia's population whilst supplying workers for the country's growing economy and industry.

From Findmypast blog 

https://www.findmypast.com.au/blog/history/ten-pound-poms

The scheme lasted until early seventies.

Case One 1949 with thanks to Sissy Hamilton

One local girl who was lured to Australia was Elizabeth McNeish Milligan from New Cumnock. Link to the Cumnock Connections tree. She was born on the 4th July 1923 in Lanemark Row, New Cumnock to coal miner Andrew Milligan and his wife Elizabeth Clark McNeish. She was a shorthand typist on the ship's manifest. Elsewhere she was described as a bank clerk.

She sailed on the M.V. Dorsetshire a converted troop ship from Liverpool to Fremantle on 29 July for the 5 week voyage landing on 2 September 1949.

Images of the Dorsestshire

https://www.polishresettlementcampsintheuk.co.uk/passengerlist/shipsindex.htm

https://www.roll-of-honour.com/Ships/HMTroopshipDorsetshire.htm

Elizabeth went to Perth and met and married another recent migrant, Hungarian Pal Rozsy.

https://museum.wa.gov.au/welcomewalls/names/rozsy-paul

ROZSY, Paul

Origin Maramaros-Sziget - Hungary

Accompanying Family None

First settled in Perth

Original Occupation Lawyer

Occupation in Australia Importer of European Foods

SKAUGUM

Departure Port Bremer-Haven

Arrival Year 1950, Fremantle Panel 48

For many years Paul found it hard to reconcile himself to his new life in Australia. Through his business of importing European foods he felt that he made a worthwhile contribution to the culture of his new homeland.

and

MILLIGAN, Elizabeth

Origin New Cumnock - Scotland

Accompanying Family None

First settled in Perth

Original Occupation Bank Clerk

Occupation in Australia Business Owner / Operator

DORSETSHIRE

Arrival Year 1950, Fremantle Panel 48

A woman, whose indomitable spirit took her on her journey to Australia and saw her through the many challenges of her life. Her three children were her raison d'etre.


Case Two 1960 with thanks to Senga Hiley

The COLVIN family

In 1960 a local Netherthird family, the Colvins flew to New South Wales to start a new life

Father Allan Colvin had worked as a miner at Whitehill Pit at Skares. He and his wife Sarah (Raeside) had 7 children. The reason for the move was that they discovered he had a shadow on his lung and could not work as a miner any longer. In Australia Allan became a machinist in a large factory but sadly he passed away at aged 48.The Colvins managed to buy a home twelve months after their arrival to Australia. Their many descendants have thrived there.

Case Three

WILSON family from Skares

Robert Wilson married Emily Thorburn on 26th of October 1956. They had four children, Karen, born 1957, Linda 1959, Robert born 1960, Melanie born 1963. They lived in Skares in Cumnock.  Rob was a lorry driver for Alex Houston. On a trip down to England he stopped for dinner with a fellow driver William (Bill) Whyte. Rob read an article in the paper saying migrate to Australia. They looked at one another and said let's do it. It took a few weeks, but in early April, the Wilsons were on their way to Australia. They arrived in Australia on the 4th of April 1967 and were transported to Bunnerong hostel.  The hostel was an old naval store converted to accommodation for new migrants. Emily broke down in tears thinking, “what have they done bringing the family here?” After a sleep from the long flight and meeting others in the hostel she was a bit more settled. Rob looked for work as driver and ended up working as a prison officer at Long Bay Jail. The children hated the school they went to. They would skip school as much as they could. But they were often found by their dad after he was notified by the school. Living in the hostel system was hard at times. Rob ended up working for the government under commonwealth hostels limited. From then on they were moved from hostel to hostel all over the country from state to state. They lived in hostels for 17 years. They finally bought a house in 1982 and Rob retired a few years later.  These are the hostels they stayed in.
Bunnerong hostel 
Berkley hostel 
Unenderra hostel 
East hills hostel  
Villawood hostel all in New South Wales.
Wacol hostel in Queensland 
Enterprise hostel 
Wiltona hostel in Victoria 
Pennington hostel in Adelaide .

During their time in Australia, they saw a lot of devastation with floods and cyclone Tracy in 1974. The hostels had to accommodate misplaced people from different backgrounds.


Rob died in 2010 and Emily in 2019. Their son Rob returned to Scotland who told us their story.

CASE 4 
TELFER sisters
Two of the sister of George Telfer the undertaker emigrated in the 1950s.
First Mamie Telfer and husband Thomas Rorison left with their sons James and George on the Mooltan in 1951  going to Adelaide.

Her sister Jenny Telfer husband Maxwell Drydale a  printer and their two daughters, Roslyn and Lorraine sailed from London on the Arcadia on 14th January 1959 and landed on 3 Feb in Fremantle, Western Australia. They settled in Sydney.
The Wilson family visited both sisters,